Sunday, May 11, 2008

REFLECTIONS

Today is Mother’s Day. A year ago I wasn’t sure I would be celebrating this day in 2008 with my little boy. A year ago today Milo was recovering from his 7th (and last) episode of having to be fully resuscitated. A year ago today I was wrestling with the information doctors had given me a few days before—Milo had a 10% chance of getting out of the ICU and that was being generous. A year ago today a neurologist came into his room in PICU to tell me that my precious little boy had moderate to severe brain damage and he would never be a normal child. This is why today is such a miracle. As I write this my son is not only out of the ICU he is happily playing on the floor in his own home. Not only does my son not show any signs of brain damage, he seems quite smart at times (I know he could have learning disabilities later). This little miracle is catching up to all the normal milestones for a child his age. Yes he does still have some obstacles to overcome. He has his tracheostomy, is still dependent on a ventilator to breathe and gets most of his nutrition though his g-tube, but he is a miracle! He is proof that God is in control, that man and science and doctors do not always hold the answers, that sometimes faith is all we need. God has a plan for each one of us even if we can’t see or believe in it at times of crisis. God has a plan for Milo, for me, and for all the people who have crossed paths with him. Some parts of his plan have already seen and I am certain there is so much more in store for us.

Today as I celebrate my miracle, my son, I can not help but think all the mothers who’s children lost there battles and the mothers who are in the PICU wrestling with similar situations this year. Please pray for these people to receive the guidance and peace they need as well as thank God for the miracles he has preformed.

No comments: