Monday, October 20, 2008

Milo Found His Voice

Milo discovered his voice this past week! He learned that if he puts his finger in his trach it is easier for him to make noise. It really is cute :0) We went to the zoo on Saturday and while we were walking out he decided to give his new skill a try. I made it to the car and had to stop to take a video. The zoo was crazy busy (it was a free admission day) and people were waiting for our parking spot but I could have cared less. This is a big Milostone! Once in the car and on our way home his finger found it's way into his trach. I think that at least half of the ride home he was jabbering away, at one point he started to cough with his finger stuck in his trach. At first I was proud of him for being able to cough so well but eventually I had to reach back and pull his finger out so he wouldn't choke. Silly kiddo... Turn up the volume on your computer and enjoy Milo's voice!!!

Milo's communication has progressed so well this week. Not only is he making more noises (and louder noise) he is showing off a few new signs. We have been trying for a long time to get him to use sign language to communicate and he has been, well to be honest, stubborn. I know not a shocker to anyone who knows Milo. He has been signing "all done" for a while now but this week he repeatedly used 3 new signs, "bubbles", "monkey", and "book". We have a bottle of bubbles sitting on the counter and he has to request them by sign to be able to play with them. I'm stubborn on that one :0) he gets to chase the bubbles when he does the sign. He signed monkey while we were at the zoo watching some little monkeys climbing the trees, chasing birds and investigating the water. I was so proud of him and he has consistantly used it ever since. This morning he signed "book" for me. I knew he could do it, he just had to do on his own terms, go figure that :0) I found a great series of sign language videos called Signing Time that Milo loves, we check them out from the library so gets new ones every so often. There are a couple of them that I would buy because he loves them, he is captivated by all the kids and the songs and he is obviously learning from them too. Maybe we will put those on his Santa list.

1 comment:

Alicia said...

HOORAY for Milostones!!!

I am so proud of you Milo!

That is so awesome! I love that he just jabbers more and more once he figured it out. Kids always love the sound of their own voices, but it is even more so with trach kiddos. They have been deprived of a voice for so long they just can't stop once they hear it!

Congratulations!

Love,

Alicia