Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Allergy Cure?!

While hopping from blog to blog earlier this year I came across a novel treatment for allergies.  I was immediately intrigued and had to investigate further.  The treatment is called Nambudripad's Allergy Elimination Technique or NAET. The NAET treatment uses a blend of medical knowledge and practices from chiropractic, acupressure, kinesiology, allopathy and nutritional disciplines.  This therapy is a way of reprogramming the brain to accept substances that it had previously identified as harmful or toxic.  The result is allergy elimination.

That first night I spend hours researching this too good to be true answer to Milo's food allergies.  I found the official NAET website which describes how it was developed and the treatment process.  I found many blogs of people who had wonderful experiences for themselves or their children with this therapy. The next day I went to library and check out Dr. Nambudripad's book "Say Goodbye To Illness".  I will honestly say the diagnosis and treatment does sound kind of suspect in the context of our familiar western medicine concepts but are widely accepted in Eastern medicine.  That first night (late at night), I texted my friend Liz, who is an acupuncturist, to find out if this was for real or some kind of "to good to be true" scam.  I talked with her the next day and while she had not heard of this specific method by name she did know several practitioners who did successfully treat allergies in a similar method. I can not tell you how excited I was at the prospect of getting rid of Milo's food allergies!

The NAET website has an extensive list of practitioners who have gone through the training.  I located an experienced acupuncturist in our area.  After talking with her about Milo and his medical challenges as well as his allergies I set up Milo's first appointment the very end of February.


So what happens during these treatments?  I'll try to summarize it for you the best I can.  Each week Milo receives a treatment for a different allergen which is part of a series called the Basic 15 which he has tested as having a reaction to.  These are 15 most common allergens that should be cleared before others, the theory is that clearing these 15 will strengthen the body and immune system to better receive the following treatments. 
Each treatment begins by conducting muscle response testing.  Muscle Response Testing or MRT is a testing technique based on kinesiology to test allergies by comparing the strength of a muscle in the presence and absence of the allergen.  Because Milo is young and generally not cooperative, I serve as a surrogate for the testing.  The allergen is in a small glass vial which I hold against Milo's skin with my hand and the muscle response test is performed on me.  As long as I remain in skin to skin contact with Milo, his results are transferred through me.  Sounds weird I know but it really does work.  When an allergen or combination of allergens is identified the treatment can take place. 

I serve as a surrogate for the treatment as well, as long as I remain in skin to skin contact the treatment is effective in him.  The allergen in the small glass vial and placed against Milo's skin and I remain in skin to skin contact with him, normally my hand on his back under his shirt.  The doctor then uses chiropractic and acupressure techniques along my spine to bring the body's energies into a state of balance. She also stimulates the acupressure points on his back.  It is said that by doing this, NAET is capable of erasing the previously encoded incorrect message about a specific allergen and replace it with a harmless message by reprogramming the brain. 

For the next 10 minutes the vial(s) are placed in Milo's sock so they remain in contact with his skin to reinforce the treatment.  He can play during this time as long as he doesn't get too crazy.  For an adult it is supposed to be used as a time of meditation.


Milo must then avoid that specific allergen for the next 25 hours, here's why. There are 12 major energy pathways (meridians) in the body. Energy molecules take 2 hours to pass through one meridian when there is normal energy flow. During the NAET treatment, the normal energy flow of the molecule of the allergen is established through the energy pathways. If the energy molecule can complete its travel without interruption and return to the original starting point in 24-25 hours, the uninterrupted journey of that energy is imprinted in the brain as harmless or beneficial energy.

We return a week later so that Milo can be checked with MRT to see if the allergen has cleared. If the allergen has not cleared the treatment will be repeated.  If the allergen has cleared we move on to more MRT testing and will treat the next allergen.

I found this video of a NAET treatment session, it is similar to Milo's treatments.  The instrument used on this child's back is what Milo's practitioner uses on my back and she uses more of a gentle massage type technique on Milo.




Many of the blogs I found described using NAET to treat Autism.  The theory is that autism may be allergy linked.  The testimony on these blogs is encouraging to me.  Milo doesn't have autism but I'd say he has some tendencies, especially the sensory problems, just not to the same extent.  I am hopeful that this treatment will also have a positive effect on his behavior and attention to tasks in school. 


There are 15 basic essential nutrient treatments that each person must be tested for and receive treatment for if necessary. Many of Milo's known diagnosed (by an allergist) allergies are within these first 15 treatments.  During the first session I had the practitioner muscle test Milo to some foods I suspected he had an issue with and sure enough, he is sensitive to tomatoes, flax and chicken.  He was also still sensitive to corn and dairy products which he has successfully passed food challenges to at National Jewish.  We are currently on Milo's 3rd treatment, so we still have a long road ahead of us.  So far Milo has been treated for eggs, dairy & sugar.  Yup he's sensitive to sugar, guess that's why he doesn't like sweet things very much!

I have already seen some improvements!  By the end of the first week Milo's breathing became totally silent for the first time in over a year and has remained that way.  He always had a gurgle in his throat, secretions that he just wouldn't clear without me prompting him to cough.  That noise is gone!  His skin was much softer the first week but last week he was itchy again.  I'm not concerned, huge changes are not expected right away :0)

Here are some of the websites/blogs I found that had wonderful information about NAET. 
NAET website
Warrior Mama
Extinguishing Eczema
Owen's Journey -- NAET journey starts January 2009
4fordsblog

If you have any questions let me know in the comments and I'll try to answer them to the best of my ability.

1 comment:

Alicia said...

That is pretty confusing and complicated! I hope and pray that this is the answer to all Milo's allergies, that would be awesome!