Wednesday, October 7, 2009

In Just One Week...

One week from today in the early morning I will be dragging my boy (who will no doubt be crabby about the whole experience) though the airport. Navigating the airport & security with Milo, his carseat and carry-on luggage was a daunting thought but then I found this nifty contraption that will attach his carseat to my rolling carry-on and it becomes a stroller he can ride in and all this for less than $15...it's called theTraveling Toddler Car Seat Travel Accessory and I found it on amazon.com I tried it out the other day and it seems to work pretty well. I was a bit leery of Milo riding in it but it seems sturdy and he liked it.

Hopefully security won't be too much hassle. I do have to bring his liquid meds that are over 3 oz but prescriptions are supposed to be exempt from the 3 oz rule. I also have to bring his pulse ox and nebulizer machine. I don't trust checking these in our luggage, they could get broke or lost, so I'm putting them in our carry-on, I hope no one has a fit about that. Then there is keeping Milo in his seat on an airplane for 2.5 hours, that should be fun. I know he won't sleep but at least I can attempt to entertain him :0)

Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you where we're going! We are flying from Denver to St. Louis then driving 2 hours to Carbondale, IL to visit my best friend from college, Liz, and her family. They have 2 boys, Logan who is 5 years old and Trey is 2.5 years old. Trey is 6 weeks younger than Milo but a bit bigger. Here's a picture of Trey & Milo in May 2007

Milo was still in the PICU and the boys weren't allowed to be together but though the magic of photoshop we got a picture of the two of them together.

For the last few years Liz and her family have been working very hard at getting Green Retreat up and running. From the pictures I have seen it is a beautiful farm in Southern Illinois with cabins and houses to rent, space for conferences, stables to board horses, space for family reunions and lots more. They even have a pumpkin patch and are doing school field trips right now. Milo seems to love pumpkins so I think he will have a great time at the patch. Check out their website for a better description of all they have to offer :0) http://www.greenretreat.com/

So the next week will involve packing, organizing, trying not to forget anything important and all that jazz. Luckily we are going down to sea level so we aren't even bringing oxygen with us. That will be kind of strange but oh so nice. I'm afraid of what he will do when has more oxygen at sea level. He might not stop moving the whole week! This is also the first time we will be further than an "flight for life ride" from Children's Hospital and that makes me a bit nervous. Liz's mother-in-law is a nurse so that's comforting and they are only 2 hours from St. Louis where there is a very good children's hospital so I think I have all our bases covered.

Wish Us Luck!!!

2 comments:

Alicia said...

Wow, that car seat carrier/stroller looks awesome!!

I hope you and Milo have a great time. Just a tip, I have heard of people getting a letter from their doctor stating what the equipment is for and that it is necessary to carry on the plane. Maybe then you wouldn't have to worry about it.

I'm sorry that this weekend looks like it isn't going to work out. I really wanted to see you and Milo, but hopefully we can get the Mamas together soon.

Have a great trip!!

Ayden said...

Hey Janay... you shouldn't have a problem w/ security, just put everything in a ziplock bag and pull it out. Do you have a letter from your Dr? We had that for everything, including Ayden's BD. We had froze it and took it on the plane. We have flown w/ Ayden 2x - both we have had O2 along as well. Drop me an email, if you have any questions. Sadly, look for a TSA screener that is a female, we have found them to be easier to work with. We even had a baby bottle w/ water to go down the g-tube and they never had a problem. (BTW, Milo will have to sit in the window seat, so the shade is a lot of fun to play w/... lol)
good luck!! have fun.