Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Vacation Extended

There is never a dull moment with Milo around! My little guy with a flair for the dramatic told me, an airplane full of passengers, paramedics and ER staff that he DOES NOT LIKE TO FLY IN AN AIRPLANE!! We were supposed to fly back into Denver last night but about 10-15 min into the flight Milo turned blue and had a seizure. Luckily there was a doctor on board, 2 actually, a trauma orthopedic surgeon and a rhumatologist. While Milo's issues were way of their specialties it was a help because people listen to doctors. Before I go any farther into this story I'll tell you that Milo is absolutely, completely fine and as ornery as ever. The flight attendant got out the emergency medical supplies and oxygen and Milo was much better as soon as he got some oxygen into himself. The pilot turned the plane around and we landed back in St. Louis where paramedics came on board on had me carry him out of the plane to the waiting ambulance. He was alert and mad and although his lungs sounded horrible I knew he was fine but since a plane made an emergency landing we went to the closest ER. By the time a doctor saw him his lungs sounded fine and he was his normal self. I called my friend Liz who had dropped us off and she turned around and picked us up again so we are back in Carbondale. Guess we'll be driving home :0) That was one "Milostone" I could have done without!

Lessons learned: 1) if Milo says "no" when asked if he wants to go on a plane, he means it 2) Sea Level + pressurized airplane cabin + rapid ascent does NOT work for Milo 3)Trauma orthopedic doctors have no clue about the airway--he was sure they would put his trach back in 4) Southwest Airlines was very nice about having to turn around, the flight attendants were quick and efficient with the medical equipment & made sure I had a drink & snacks if I wanted them before we got off the plane, all my carry-on luggage made it to the ambulance and the pilot came to make sure Milo was alright. 4) Milo does not travel well in the car at night, it took us forever to get back to Liz's house finally got here at 3am

Milo fell asleep at 6:30 tonight, he was exhausted. I'm hoping he sleeps all night and will be a happier guy tomorrow! We had a great week here and expect to be here though the weekend and the Pumpkin Glow at GreenRetreat. During this last week Milo had a pony ride and loves the horses from the miniture horse to the ponies to the big race horse, has seen more pumpkins than he ever thought existed, has been on several hay rides, has helped out with pumpkin patch school field trips and has fun playing with Logan & Trey. I'll post pictures when I can!

1 comment:

Alicia said...

Wow, that boy sure knows how to create a scene and direct all the attention on him! My heart skipped a beat when I first saw your update on FB so I was more than happy to read further and find out he is ok. I hope you guys make the most of your extended vacation and have a safe and drama free trip back home.

We'll have to get together soon, drinks are on me!!