Wednesday, July 29, 2009

A Significant Day

Today marks a significant day in Milo's life. Today the balance has shifted. Today the number of days Milo has been at home OUT NUMBER the total days he has been in the hospital. It is a strange kind of milestone, definitely a good milostone though. 16 months ago when he was released from the hospital I looked forward to this day with much anticipation, it had so much significance to me back then. Now it's just another day on the calendar, the memories of all those endless days (and nights) spent in the hospital are growing fainter with each passing day.

Milo continues to do great without his trach. He was grumpy and clingy for several days but after he caught up on his sleep he has returned to his normal happy-go-lucky self. We've hit a bump in the road every now and then with his stomach but nothing out of the norm for Milo. He is making so much more noise now and let me tell you he can now be very LOUD when he screams and screeches :0) Now we have to work on volume control! The best part is being able to hear all his "little" sounds that got lost with his trach. I can hear all of his giggles and laughs, his sighs, and the little babbles are just precious. I savor every one of those noises. In a few months I'll probably be complaining how much noise he makes...he'll be the kid in class that talks non-stop. Milo now has 3 words! Of course his first was Mama, then "open" and just the other day "please". Now open & please are far from perfect but definitely intelligible. I was trying to get him to sign or say "open" on Sunday when he spit out "please" I was so excited that he got his box of toys opened quite quickly.

This Saturday is the Celebration of Hope for the Memorial NICU graduates so we plan on going down to Colorado Springs for this event. It will be the first time Milo & I have driven more than 30 minutes without anyone else in the car. Luckily we have the portable DVD player, what did parents do without these things :0)

I also wanted to take a quick second and that all of you who left kinds words of encouragement for Milo & me in the comments. It is so nice to hear from all of you.

1 comment:

Alicia said...

Just amazes me that the little man was in the hospital for 16 months and he is doing so well now!! Mr. Miracle Milo!!!

So glad he is doing so well without the trach. I am sure he was attached to it and knows something is different but can't quite put his finger on it.

Hooray for words and noise. I know I haven't gotten tired of it yet. :)

Can't wait to meet up with you guys on Saturday!