Friday, January 22, 2010

Adventures In...Potty Training

It's time, I think he's ready...even if he says he won't use the potty. I've been pondering this whole potty training thing for months. I came across an advertisement for a 3 day potty training method and I was intrigued. Seriously, 3 days, who wouldn't like that. I was a bit skeptical about it, how harsh would it be on the little guy. Of course all the reviews on the site were positive so I sought out other peoples opinions. I can honestly say I only saw good things about it. Maybe the kid wasn't trained in 3 days, it may have taken 4 or 5 but hey I'll take 5 days over months and months any time. The website says you have to follow the plan 100% for it to work and she does offer mentoring via e-mail usually answered the same day. I gave in and got the e-book and I'll have to say that it seems like it should work and it's really gentle on the kiddo. Don't get me wrong it's not for wimpy parents at all, it takes 3 solid days of constant vigilance and lots of patients, not to mention dozens underpants (no diapers, pull-ups or padded training pants allowed)! So I have prepared for my 3 day lock-down with Milo. He has 25 pair of undies, big boy wipes, a new toilet seat so he won't fall in, and lots and lots of "reward" material. It was hard coming up with rewards for a kid who doesn't eat, the standard M&M reward won't work here. I came up with stickers, which he usually doesn't care too much about, and putting a penny in a special piggy bank, which he LOVES to do. I have a couple of "bigger" rewards for the end of the day especially if he remains dry. I have stocked up on little games and toys we can play with together and got a couple of new movies to watch. Of course what kind of a mom would I be if I didn't sneak some therapy type activities in there too :0) Oh yeah, I got some caffeine and chocolate for myself...this will be a long weekend!
One of the things about potty training I have dreaded the most is the potty chair, I don't want to dump that thing out and wash it...ick. Then there are the kind of padded little seats that fit on the regular toilet but again, yuck, those have to be moved when a big person uses the potty. I found a great solution, it's called the Family Seat. I ordered it from One Step Ahead. It replaces your existing toilet seat and has the lid, a little seat and a big seat all in one. I got the plastic one since it was cheaper and the little seat magnetically holds on the lid. I'm sure I didn't do it justice trying to describe it but you can go here to get a better description!
Milo had to help with the installation

Must try it out! No falling in here.

Well I'm off to re-read my 40 page e-book once more for inspiration. Wish us luck! I'll try to report in over the next 3 days to let you know how it's going and if it was worth the $24 e-book.

1 comment:

Alicia said...

Wow, good luck with that. And good luck not being bald by Monday! I'll be very interested in hearing an update and if it works, we just might try it over here!

Have a good weekend! ; )