Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Officially Discharged

from Home Nursing care that is. The nursing supervisor came today and took away his chart, it was good. We haven't had a nurse since before Thanksgiving so really nothing changed today with the day to day stuff. We will keep in touch with our wonderful nurses, they truly have become part of our family.

Tammy & Milo May 2009

First of all I want to thank our two wonderful nurses who had been with us since the day Milo came home from the hospital. Tammy & Shirley you guys are the best, thank you so much for all your help! Having a medically complicated kiddo requires a lot of vigilance, add in Milo's activity level and boy does it make for a busy & some times crazy day. Hauling around Milo & all his "stuff" was no easy feat in the beginning. I don't think I would have made it through the last 19 months without you guys, or at least not as calm and rested as I was :0)


Shirley & Milo November 2009

On the other hand there a lot of things that are nice about not having nursing care. First is that I don't have to get written doctors orders for every little change in medication, food, therapy, etc. I feel like I don't have someone (the agency not our in home nurses) watching over my shoulder second guessing every decision I make about Milo like when he is sick enough to go see the doctor or if he really needs to go to the ER for falling and bonking his head on a toy and getting a eighth inch cut on his scalp. I know that all of this was to cover the nursing agency in case something major came about but it is nice to know that all the decisions are mine to make without having to worry about what the agency thinks about my decisions. And ya know what? It make us that much more of a "typical" family although still far from normal.

As I mentioned earlier we haven't had any nursing since just before Thanksgiving and things have been going quite well. There was some adjusting to do though. I learned to take a shower at night while Milo sleeps because leaving him to the house for even a few minutes is no good, did ya see the picture of him in the sink in the slide show? I was in the bathroom for less than 2 minutes! I always left Milo with a nurse to do the shopping, not so much any more. He goes where I go and he's learning to like it, slowly. He hates riding in shopping carts so the seat belts are my best friend, his worst enemy. Now that he is in preschool 2 days a week I can hopefully get most of that stuff done while he's at school so I don't have to torture him so much.

Today was a significant day in life with Milo. Another day I couldn't wait for nearly two years ago. Today went by with little fan fare, it was a normal day. Now we just have less paperwork in the house and have reclaimed the shelf where the chart & paperwork "lived".

1 comment:

Alicia said...

Yay for this new Milostone!!

I never met Shirley but I am sure she was wonderful. I did have the pleasure of meeting Tammy and I was blown away by how much she loved Milo! She is a great nurse and, I could tell, a great addition to the family! So to know they will no longer function in that capacity for Milo but, like you said, they will always be a part of the family!

Oh happy day!