Saturday, January 23, 2010

Potty Training: Day 1

It's been a long and tiring day but if this works it will be well worth it! I'm ready for a shower and bed after I clean up the hurricane that Mr. Milo created today while I tried to entertain him all day. Milo's asleep now so day 1 of (hopefully) 3 is pretty much done. Since this is an all or nothing type program that means he is sleeping in his undies. Hopefully the bed will stay dry but again not holding my breath and am prepared with clean sheets & jammies. We've had 8 accidents today and only 1 of those we made it to the potty before he finished and I was peed on once. Can't say I expected much more but I have definitely learned a few things today. First of all thank goodness for hardwood floors and steam mops! Definitely wear shoes, not just socks or bare feet, it makes running to the bathroom with a wet kid and cleaning up puddles much more pleasant, nothing worse then stepping in a warm...well you get the picture. Milo will pee if he puts his hands in running water, that one was kind of funny. I've also learned that I'm not so good at being "glued" to my kid, which I'm almost embarrassed to say being a former trach mom who had to be with her child at all times. I missed two accidents today, that's a big NO-NO with this program. I'm supposed to catch him in the act every time. My goal for tomorrow is to be better about that. Rewards and positive re-enforcement don't seem to be doing much for him so I need to re-think what I'm doing there too.
All or nothing, huh. Yup, the program says to throw away all the diapers so you aren't tempted to use one and so the child knows they are gone. Well I have this problem with throwing away things that others can use so I modified this rule a bit. Milo & I loaded all the remaining diapers and pull-ups into a box and left it on our step for the "diaper fairy" to take to little babies who need them. The diaper fairy exchanged the diapers for a book & video for Milo, he was excited to see his prize. So that box of diapers is still sitting outside beside the step where Milo can't see it and the diapers are so cold I wouldn't dare put one on him :0)



He's so cute in his little undies, even the smallest size I could find (2T/3T) are baggy on him. Some I even have to roll the waistband and they still sag. Socks on the kiddo are not such a great idea either :0)

No comments: